We invite writers to submit to the Fractured Lit Flash Fiction Prize from May 15 to July 18, 2021. Guest judge K-Ming Chang will choose three winning stories from a shortlist. We're excited to offer the winner of this prize $3000 and publication, while the 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive publication and $300 and $200, respectively along with publication.
K-Ming Chang is a Kundiman fellow, a Lambda Literary Award finalist, and a National Book Foundation 5 Under 35 honoree. She is the author of the New York Times Editors’ Choice novel Bestiary (One World/Random House, 2020), which was longlisted for the Center for Fiction First Novel Prize and the PEN/Faulkner Award. Her short story collection, Gods of Want, is forthcoming from One World in June 2022. More of her work can be found at kmingchang.com.
Fractured Lit is looking for flash fiction that lingers long past the first reading. We're searching for flash that investigates the mysteries of being human, the sorrow, and the joy of connecting to the diverse population around us. We want the stories that explode vertically, the flash that leaves the conventional and the clichéd far behind. Fractured Lit is a flash fiction–centered place for all writers of any background and experience.
- Your $20 reading fee allows up to two stories of 1,000 words or fewer each per entry—if submitting two stories, please put them both in a SINGLE document
- We allow multiple submissions—each set of two flash stories should have a separate submission accompanied by a reading fee
- Flash Fiction only—1,000 word count maximum
- We only consider unpublished work for contests—we do not review reprints, including self-published work
- Simultaneous submissions are okay—please notify us and withdraw your entry if you find another home for your writing
- All entries will also be considered for publication in Fractured Lit
- Double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12 pt font
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable). Please mention any content warnings as necessary to protect our readers!
- We only read work in English
- We do not read blind. The judge will read anonymously from the shortlist.
The deadline for entry is July 18, 2021. We will announce the shortlist within 8-10 weeks of the contest's close. All writers will be notified when results are in.
- Some Submittable hot tips: - Please be sure to whitelist/add to contacts so notifications do not get filtered as spam/junk: email@example.com- If you realize you sent the wrong version of your piece: it happens. Please DO NOT withdraw the piece and resubmit. Submittable collects a non-refundable fee each time. Please DO message us from within the submission to request that we open the entry for editing, which will allow you to fix everything from typos in your cover letter to uploading a new draft. The only time we will not allow a change is if the piece is already under review by a reader.
OPTIONAL EDITORIAL FEEDBACK:
You may choose to receive editorial feedback on your piece. We will provide a global letter discussing the strengths of the writing and the recommended focus for revision. Our aim is to make our comments actionable and encouraging. These letters are written by editors and staff readers of Fractured Lit.
Should your story win, no feedback will be offered and your fee will be refunded.
Discounts and Opportunities:
WritingWorkshops.com would love to be part of your writing journey this year! Enter discount code FRACTURED at checkout for 15% Off any upcoming class. Strengthen your voice, deepen your craft, and forge a path to publication along the way.
Bull City Press has provided a 25% discount on aff books and eBooks (excluding pre-orders) from their store. Use the code FRACTURED at checkout!
Submitters will get the password to a 10 minute Original Flash Fiction writing tip video from judge K-Ming Chang!
Good luck and happy writing!